8 Things More People Should Be Doing
1. Use your “inside voice” whether you are in fact inside or outside. It doesn’t matter, home slice, just keep it down.
2. Whilst at Starbucks, kindly order a reasonable drink that, at the very least, the barista can get on his or her second-and-a-half try. You might, instead, consider what your venti-extra-hot-non-fat-half-sweet-light-whip-five-shot-espresso-frappuccino says about you as a person. No joke, I met a lady in line at Starbucks last week who was “a little tired” and actually ordered this drink. That’s 5 espressos… and a pleasant amount of sugar… let’s leave that there.
3. Recyle, recycle, recycle. Especially when it’s more than convenient. I get that while it might be less enticing to recycle your plastic bottle when their is no recycling bin in sight, nor relatively near by, it strikes me as just plain foolish to throw your bottle in the trash when there is a recycling bin immediately to its left (or right). Really, though, it’s right there.
4. Read the news. Not CNN, though, because let’s be honest, that doesn’t count.
5. Be critical! Not judgmental. Those words don’t mean the same thing. What I mean is: use your brain power. Analyze things. Don’t intake a bunch of bullshit passively because you have no will to think. Instead, do yourself, your community, and the world a favour and use your brain. It is in there for a reason. Think through things that are hard to think about (politics, religion, theory, news, beauty, music, philosophy, literature, etc.) and come to your own conclusions. I can only hope those conclusions won’t be bat-shit-cray.
6. If you aren’t already, start watching Mad Men. Firstly, it’s a brilliant series that is exceptionally well-written (thank you Matthew Weiner & co) and brilliantly acted. Secondly, as a quick Wikipedia search will show you, it has won 15 Emmys and 4 Golden Globes. That means that someone obviously agrees with my first postulation. Thirdly, the show’s aesthetics are spot-on, and the colours are very captivating (I’m particular about colour, as it turns out).
7. Read. Novels. Poetry. Philosophy. Novels again! Don’t let literature die! I’ll post a solid to-read list soon if you need ideas. But seriously, in the words of Nike, “Just Do It.” Though, don’t be like Hipster Ariel because, let’s face it, she’s annoying and a bit of an asshole.
8. Like my blog if you’re feeling generous. Shameless plug, I know. Don’t judge me.